Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Two Star-Crossed Lovers

"For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo"

Though full of woe it truly was, I have to disagree that their situation is neither unique nor completely without its ability to allure readers and leave them enchanted for centuries.

I have read the play. Yes, I waded through the oceans of challenging, Shakespearean language, articulating the meanings and reflecting on the text for enhanced understanding. Indeed, there were times where I simply had to press on whether I lacked a complete comprehension of the printed word or no; so as not to insult the late William Shakespeare, I invested much time in breaking down the language. I did him justice.

I have seen the 1960's classic, Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet, several times. A dusty copy sits atop my stack of favorite DVDs in my apartment, and I cannot help but admit the strong desire to remove it from its resting place, pop it open and place it in the player. Of course I have seen the inferior version of this classic, starring Claire Danes and Leo DiCaprio; I find it to be less than ideal and lacking the eloquence, magic and ethereal beauty of the first. For whatever reason, perhaps many reasons, I find that the two individuals cast for Franco's version were the perfect duo. If you have ever seen this gem of cinematic deliciousness, then you have witnessed the breathetaking beauty of these young actors. In simplest terms (in Nicole's little mind), they represent the epitome of my vision of the fictional pair; they exemplify these characters perfectly. They were innocent, pure and amazing---mesmerizing to watch. I was instantly sold.

Although my appreciation for this tragedy has never truly left me (for we hold them within our hearts), lately this literary masterpiece has begun to haunt me in many ways. I heard the Killer's cover of the Dire Straits track, 'Romeo and Juliet,' recently and suddenly had to pull out my CD. Not only did I listen once, I played the tune a few times, analyzing the lyrics, applying them to my life. If you have not heard it, I highly recommend.

I believe they call me a hopeless romantic. I sit. I wait. I dream. One day Romeo will come to call. Until then, I learn to truly love myself. Often times, although it is the grandest love affair of all, it is the hardest.

No comments:

Post a Comment